Thursday, June 4, 2009

Carlsbad Caverns National Park 6/2


After our Super Fun day in Roswell (NOT!) we headed south to Carlsbad, NM. We stayed at a cool little RV park, it had an indoor pool, tire swings, showers, wifi (didn't work that day), the works! We cleaned up, recharged our batteries (ours and the RV's) to get ourselves ready for the big Texas drive.
Woke up early enough the next morning to check out the Carlsbad Caverns NP before our 8 hour drive to Benbrook, Texas, where we were going to be visiting our friends John & Tiff.
The Carlsbad Caverns were quite a bit larger than the previous caverns we had seen at Katchner Caverns in Arizona. We took the "natural entrance" into the caves, which was a huge opening in a cliff. The trail winded down 800 feet into the darkness of the cave. We followed the trail down and down through the "natural entrance" and then headed into the "big room". We got to bring our camera and take lots of pictures. I do not know what my deal was that day (I'll admit it I was a little cranky...) but I was not really into it. Every stalagmite and stalactite started to look exactly the same. But Joe really enjoyed it and took some amazing photos (which was really hard because of the lighting and we are not professionals). The trail took us about 2 hours to complete. We ate our lunch and got ready to make the 8 hour trek to Benbrook.
I started off the drive (which probably wasn't a good idea because of the crankiness) and I swear we were in the twilight zone. The same exact mile of land over and over and over again, no cars either direction on the highway... (anyone ever drive I-5 in California?) After Joe didn't want to listen to me bitch anymore (hey I admit I was a crab that day) we switched and he began to drive. We were about 3 hours away from our final destination when we hit another "road block" yet again.
Here is what happened: Joe mumbles something, pulls over to the side of the interstate and jumps out of the truck super fast. I am like what the heck is going on and he yells at me to get out of the truck. He rushes into the trailer, grabs the fire extinguisher, and runs around to the left side of the trailer. Apparently the left trailer tire was sparking and caught a little on fire. Joe put it out and we pulled off at the next exit to call AAA. Did I mention we were in the middle of the craziest thunder and lighting storm I have ever seen in my life. About an hour later the AAA tow truck got there, another hour later the trailer was on the flat bed tow truck (more craziness to be seen) and we were headed to the repair shop. By Noon the next day they figured out what was wrong and got it fixed and we were ready to get back onto the road. Now I am not really savvy at mechanic jargon so if you really want to know what happened email questions to Joseph.
"On the Road Again..."

1 comment:

  1. Ashley G in Bako!June 6, 2009 at 4:11 PM

    Hey guys...your blog hasn't been working for me and then I realized that I was just always typing things in wrong!! I hope you guys are having an awesome time...you really make me want to drop everything and take a road trip. Hope all is well! Joe: you are rocking such a serious beard that Travis would cut off his foot just to experience half of that hair growth! Miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete